Prepare for winter early!
Lets face it no one, or very few of us, like to think about the cold weather that is fast approaching. There is always a lot to be done to prepare for the winter season. We manage over 100 rental properties, here is a check we use to make sure everyone is covered!
- Changing the filter on your furnace maintains the heating system, saves money and provides better performance in those cold temperatures.
- Remember to turn off water to outside hose and drain the line.
- If you have a vacant home consider having the home winterized and turn off the water main to minimize damage if pipes freeze. Winterizing includes blowing out the water lines, draining the water heater and adding antifreeze to the drains and toilets. You can still leave the heat on low but in case of a power outage having the home winterized is an extra precaution.
- Don't forget to cover outside air conditioning units during winter season.
- Choose a pest control plan that works for your family. It is not unusual to find evidence of mice in the fall. Lets face it they want to find a warm home for winter too!
- If you have a wood stove be sure to call early to have the chimney cleaned as contractors that provide this service do book up fast.
- Put your flower beds and lawn to sleep for the winter with a good raking.
- If you have any delicate shrubs you might consider building something to keep snow and ice falling off the roof from damaging them.
- Change the batteries in your smoke detectors.
- Make sure your snow blower has new oil, and you've got all the shovels etc your going to need.
- Do you realize some thermostats for your heating system require batteries? Be sure to change the batteries in your thermostat too!
There is always so much to do to prepare for the change of seasons. This list is only a fraction of what home owners do to prepare their home for winter. Preparing ahead certainly can take some of the stress out of life and leaves more time for enjoying watching it snow from inside or enjoying the many snow sports that the area offers.
Happy Holidays from NNY Homes Inc. and Staff